The latest information shows:
- The number of mesothelioma deaths has increased from 153 in 1968 to 2 321 in 2009. Over 80% of deaths were among men. (Mesothelioma register).
- Men who worked in the building industry when asbestos was still being used widely are now among those most at risk of mesothelioma.
- Most deaths among women are likely to be due to a range of non-occupational asbestos exposures.
- The worst case predictions for males are that annual deaths will increase to a peak of about 2 100 in about the year 2016.
- Female deaths are likely to peak after this but at a much lower level.
Mesothelioma deaths and disablement benefit cases 1982-2010
more detailed information on mesothelioma